Many Nations ; One Savior
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him
should not perish, but have everlasting life."
John 3:16 (KJV)
To carry this Gospel, this Good News, to all the World, just as Jesus Himself dwelt among us, God's Family is called to be "Street Saints" to the hurting people of this world.
Welcome, and thank you for visiting Historic First Lutheran Church online. We hope that our website highlights the wide variety of worship, fellowship and service opportunities available. Please feel free to read more about our church on this site, or come in for a visit. We would love to greet you and share with you our love for Jesus Christ and for you, our neighbor.
To welcome all people into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and into responsible church membership through the power of the Word and prayer followed by action of faith.
Historic First Lutheran
Adult Bible Study
Sunday Morning Service
For our current Worship Schedule, please see
"Worship Under the Palms," below.
Historic First Lutheran
"Prayer Force One"
Followed by Prayer Walk each week to meet and share God's love with our neighbors.
Our church offers a traditional setting for your most sacred celebration.
God's Family During Crises
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord,
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Historic First Lutheran and the COVID-19 Pandemic
As our nation and the peoples of the world struggle to deal with the impacts of the novel coronavirus, we continue to look in faith to our loving God for strength, guidance and deliverance.
News Regarding Outdoor Worship!
While we continue to complete requirements to re-open corporate worship inside the church, please know that the City of Pasadena is allowing us to gather for outdoor worship with fewer restrictions
for those who participate. These restrictions have been issued by the State of California, the County of Los Angeles and the City of Pasadena.
Note: During this period of re-opening, to assist our members and our community in avoiding, slowing and eventually eliminating the virus' spread, we continue to - temporarily - suspend Sunday Services within the church, Sunday School, Bible classes, Wednesday Services, meetings and other group events in accordance with directives from the City of Pasadena and the State of California.
As conditions change, we will adapt and provide updates.
Restrictions and Requirements for Outdoor Worship
The restrictions include:
1) The wearing of a face covering that covers your nose and mouth while you are on the church campus. (The church will attempt to provide a face covering in case you forget.)
2) Physical distancing of 6' at all times between all people not from the same household, including in the parking lot and as you are entering the center courtyard through the wrought iron gate in the South Parking Lot.
3) A quick personal health screening immediately before you leave home. The continued health of all of us depends on the trust that you complete the self-screening process.
○ Such analysis MUST include a self-temperature check
● If your temperature is 100 degrees or more, PLEASE STAY HOME and consult your doctor.
○ Also ask yourself the following questions: ● Have I been around anyone with COVID-19?
● Do I have shortness of breath or difficulty breathing? ● Do I have a cough, sore throat or chills?
● Do I have a headache, muscle pain, or repeated shaking? ● Have I experienced a new loss of taste or smell?
Note: If your answer to any of these questions is "Yes," PLEASE STAY HOME and consult your doctor.
4) When you arrive you will be asked if you have completed your health screening. For those unable to perform the personal health screening, the church will have an infrared touchless thermometer to check temperatures upon arrival.
5) There will be no access to water fountains or water dispensers and all children's play equipment will be unavailable.
6) Limited chairs will be available for those unable to stand for the 20-30 minute communion service (it is acceptable to bring your own lawn chair and take it home after).
7) Touchless communion will be practiced. Instructions will be provided at each service.
Location and Reservations
Services will be held
in the Margaret Fackler Memorial Garden.
A reservation system will be used to ensure we do not exceed the maximum allowable capacity.
You will need to make a reservation and receive a confirmation response.
PLEASE contact the church office at Firstpasa@aol.com or 626.793.1139 by 3 p.m. the day before the scheduled service you would like to attend (i.e. by Saturday for Sunday ).
The following times are available for outdoor worship:
Sunday Mornings at 8:30 a.m. PUNCTUAL (please arrive by 8:15)
Sunday Mornings at 9:30 a.m. PUNCTUAL (please arrive by 9:15)
Sunday Mornings at 10:30 a.m. PUNCTUAL (please arrive by 10:15)
-- Additional times will be added if maximum capacity is reached. --
Private communion services are available in the Fackler Garden by appointment. Contact Pastor Schaar.
Front Porch communion services continue to be available at your home. Contact Pastor Schaar.
Emailed devotions will continue to be circulated every Wednesday and Sunday.
These devotions are also posted as soon as possible on this website for access on your computer, your tablet, or your smartphone.
"For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16
"...the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people."
"...you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21
Worship Under the Palms
Continued Ministry at Historic First Lutheran:
-- Our Pastor will be on campus every day and can be reached,
by both members and non-members, by telephone or email
(see this website's Visit/Contact Us tab).
-- If you desire to watch online streaming worship services from a Lutheran church,
links are available at psd-lcms.org/live-streamed-listing.
Services are available at a variety of times in either traditional
or contemporary styles.
-- We will continue to search for ways to serve God and our community and, as our Lord said, to love our neighbors as ourselves.
As Jesus Himself said, “The gates of hell shall not prevail” [Matthew 16:18].
Inspired by this, Martin Luther wrote, “Though devils all the world may fill, all eager to devour us, we tremble not; we fear no ill; they shall not overpow’r us!”
Even with the heavy burdens of this time and situation, we have opportunities to seek
God in prayer, to carry His love and reassurance to others through the many means of communication we have available, to support caregivers and workers, both frontline and in the background, and to study the insights He has given us in His Word.
May God's love and blessings be on you and upon all those whom you hold dear.
Pastor Christopher Schaar's long anticipated book on the Symbolism
of Historic First Lutheran
is finally in print !
The book starts the story of the church building standing on Los Robles Ave. and walks all the way through the Sanctuary right up to the Altar, telling about ALL the symbolism hidden in the building itself -- a silent sermon in stucco, wood, and glass. There are 33 color photos (plus the cover compilation of all the stained glass) as well as some 15,000 words (78 pages) and over 150 Scripture references. The book has been a dream in the making for over 10 years!
The book is available for $25 from Amazon,
or personalized, autographed copies are available for $20 directly from Pastor Schaar.
To obtain ordering information, please send an email to Firstpasa@aol.com .
100% of the profits benefit Historic First Lutheran.